from Dave Felice
The most recent edition of the Security Guide booklet for the Auraria Campus now contains a section called “Active Shooter.” The section advises students, faculty, and staff on what action is appropriate when confronted with gunfire.
An active shooter scenario on campus is probably the most difficult situation to
predict, and the events will happen very quickly. Please be aware that if we are
faced with an active shooter scenario, that ACPD may implement several types of
activities, such as campus lockdown, shelter in-place and protect, AND
• Seek sanctuary by proceeding to a room that can be locked, close and
lock all windows and doors and turn off all lights OR exit the building if
safe conditions exist.
• Get down on the floor and ensure that no one is visible from outside the
• Call 9-1-1 from a campus phone or dial (303) 556-5000 from any other
phone to access the Auraria Campus Police Department (ACPD) and
advise the dispatcher of the events.
• Inform him/her of your location, and remain in place until the police give
the “ALL CLEAR” signal.
• If you are in a room that cannot be locked, place large, heavy objects in
front of the doorway to impede the path and vision of an intruder.
• If an active shooter enters your office or classroom, try to remain calm.
Call 9-1-1 from a campus phone or dial (303) 556-5000 from any other
phone, and if possible, alert police of the shooter’s location. If you can’t
speak, leave the line open so the dispatcher can listen to what’s taking
• If the shooter leaves the area, proceed immediately to a safer place and
do not touch anything that was in the vicinity of the shooter, as these
items could be POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS to you and others.